So you want to be an architect?
Welcome to OPN’s Future Architect Portal: a go-to resource for learning about architects and architecture. We’ve compiled and created videos, resources, and activities that will teach you about the important role architecture plays in our world. Have fun. We can’t wait to see what you create!
Give Drawing a Shot!
What do you think is the number one reason people think they can’t be an architect? “I can’t draw!” Well, we’re here to tell you that you CAN!
Drawing is a skill. Like any skill, it is learned and perfected with practice. Architects use drawing as a way to quickly communicate ideas and designs before putting them into the computer. Watch one or both of these videos and keep practicing!
We recommend all of these resources:
- Perspective Drawing with Dan Beardshaw
- Architectural Drawing with 30×40 Design Workshop
- How to Draw a Floor Plan to Scale
- Activity: Perspective Drawing
- PBS Building BIG!
- Creativity Connections 12 Week Workshop with Daily Activities!
- Print & Fold Paper Models!
- Architectural Digest’s 50 Iconic Buildings from around the World
- Kiddle: What is Architecture?
- School Zone Institute’s Vimeo Channel
Learn more about architecture in Iowa and Wisconsin!
Design a Learning Space
Since we can’t be in school right now we’re all figuring out new ways to teach and learn. Now that you’ve had a few weeks to try something new, we want to know how you would design your ideal learning space. Do you like learning at home? Where do you do your school work? When you go back to school, what do you wish was in your classroom? What types of spaces make learning easier or more fun?Check out all of the submissions.
What we're saying
Get in touchShow us your work!
Tag us on Social Media.